Logo Office de Tourisme de Colmar

Architectural heritage

Order by :
38 results
Quick info
COLMAR

Tanner's district 

The tanner’s district is constituted from high wood framing houses and half timbered houses, mostly dating back to the 17th and 18th centuries. The houses were used by tanners who worked and lived there with their families. They were also used for...

Quick info
COLMAR

House of Heads 

Built in 1609 for the shopkeeper Anton Burger, the house of heads is attributed to the architect Albert Schmidt, who also made the former protestant presbytery and the house of the St. John's Knights. The house of heads, a fine building dating from...

Quick info
COLMAR

Koifhus 

The Koïfhus or the former customs house had a strategic place at the confluence of the Grand’Rue and the rue des Marchands, two of the major roads in the medieval city. Imagined since 1433, the construction of the current building was ended in...

Quick info
COLMAR

The Pfister House 

The Pfister house was built in 1537 for the hatter Ludwig Scherer, who made his fortune with money trading in the Val de Liepvre. Despite its medieval features, the house is the first example of architectural renaissance in Colmar. With its...

Quick info
COLMAR

The Dominican Church 

Started in 1283, the construction of the Dominican church mainly dates back to the first half of the 14th century. It is an important example of the mendicant orders architecture, even if the Dominicans arrived in 1278 were temporarily driven out...

Quick info
COLMAR

Saint Martin Church 

Built between 1235 and 1365 the Saint Martin’s collegiate church is an important example of Gothic architecture in Alsace. Because of a fire in the south tower in 1572 the framework and all the roofs were destroyed. The tower was replaced three...

Quick info
COLMAR

Little Venice 

The « little Venice » is the name given to the course of the Lauch in Colmar. This name probably came from the original line of the houses on both sides of the river, which serves the southeast of the city. This district starts behind the...

Quick info
COLMAR

The fishmonger's district 

The fishmonger's district is the place where most of the professional fishermen and boatmen of Colmar lived. They were in a powerful corporation. The caught fishes were stored in fish ponds or sold in the fishmonger's district. In 1706 a huge fire...

Quick info
COLMAR

The former guard house 

Built on the former chapel Saint-Jacques (first mentioned in 1286) which served a time as town hall, the building has been converted in 1575 for secular purposes. Above a vaulted ossuary, the building had on the first floor a barrack room and rooms...

Quick info
COLMAR

The Synagogue 

Built from 1839 to 1842 on the site of an old farm, the synagogue of Colmar is the seat of the Israelite Consistory and the Grand Rabbinate of the Haut-Rhin. The presence of the Jewish community in the city is testified since the 18th century. The...

Quick info
COLMAR

Former Hospital - Mediatheque 

After the departure of the Franciscans from their monastery, the superior of the religious order in the province sold the buildings to the city of Colmar in 1543. The monastery was then converted into a hospital, but it was struck by lightning in...

Quick info
COLMAR

Saint Matthieu Church 

The Franciscans, arrived in Colmar before 1250, started in 1292 the construction of a building which was ended only during the first half of the 14th century. With the Dominicans church, this monument is one of the major achievements of the...

Quick info
COLMAR

Former Dominican Convent (today public library) 

Colmar’s public library is located in the former Dominican convent. The Dominican brothers arrived in Colmar in October 1278, preceded by the Dominican sisters of Unterlinden. They began to build their church in 1283. The cloister, real haven of...

Quick info
COLMAR

The House of the St. John's Knights 

The architecture of this house is reminiscent of Venetian palaces. The house has a two-floor gallery of arched arcades, surmounted by a stone balustrade, which links together two buildings. One side of the building overlooks the road and the other...

Quick info
COLMAR

Adolph House 

Built around 1350, this house is considered to be one of the oldest in Colmar. It owns its name to the Adolph family, who removed the gothic picture windows at the end of the 19th century. Those picture windows, from the late 14th century, show with...

Quick info
COLMAR

Prefecture 

The prefecture of Haut-Rhin began the construction of its new building in 1862. Their former building, in the hotel of the Pairis Abbey (now City Hall), where it was installed since its inception in 1800, was too cramped. The new building, built on...

Quick info
COLMAR

Statue of liberty 

This statue made of resin is a 12-meter high replica of the Statue of Liberty. It was sculpted to commemorate the 100th death anniversary of the sculptor Auguste Batholdi, who was born in Colmar and created the "Liberty lightening the world". Many...

Quick info
COLMAR

Court of Appeal 

Intended for the Oberlandesgericht or High Tribunal of Reichsland, which was too cramped in the palace of the Sovereign Council, this building was inaugurated in 1906. The construction started in May 1902 on the former site of the experimental...

Quick info
COLMAR

Former Protestant presbytery (House of arcades) 

Albert Schmidt, also architect of the house called the House of the St. John's Knights (1608) and The House of Heads (1609) is the author of this building on the Grand Rue, which was built in 1606. Built in a German Renaissance style, the building...

Quick info
COLMAR

Water Tower 

The water tower was used for the regulation and the distribution of drinking water in Colmar, controlled in July 1884 by municipal wastewater treatment plants. It was imagined by the city architect Jean-Baptiste-Victor Huen and Swiss engineer Henri...

MOSAIQUE_PATRIMOINE


SELECTION_RUBRIQUE

Adolph House

Bartholdi College

Bartholdi Museum

Bruat Fountain

Court of Appeal

Former Dominican Convent (today public library)

Former Hospital - Mediatheque

Former Protestant presbytery (House of arcades)

Former St John's commanderie

House of Heads

Little Venice

Monument dedicated to Bartholdi

Monument dedicated to Hirn

Monument dedicated to Pfeffel

Monument to General Rapp

Museum of the municipal factories

Natural history and ethnography Museum

Parc du Champ de Mars

Parc Méquillet

Parc Saint-François-Xavier

Public Theater

Saint Martin Church

Saint Matthieu Church

Schwendi fountain

Seat of the Ploughmen's guild

Square Adolphe Hirn

Square de la Montagne-Verte

St Martin's circle

St Peter's Chapel

Statue of liberty

Tanner's district

The 'Catherinettes'

The Dominican Church

The fishmonger's district

The former guard house

The Hansi Village and its Museum

The House of the St. John's Knights

The Pfister House

The Roesselmann Fountain

The Synagogue

Toy Museum

Unterlinden Museum

Voltaire's residence

Water Tower garden

“Zum Schwan“ House (or Schongauer House)

Go to top