Logo Office de Tourisme de Colmar

Contact
The Dominican Church

You want to book or ask a question ? Please fill out the form below!


Started in 1283, the construction of the Dominican church mainly dates back to the first half of the 14th century. It is an important example of the mendicant orders architecture, even if the Dominicans arrived in 1278 were temporarily driven out of the city in 1330. In 1458, the roof and the cloister were damaged by a fire. After that, reconstruction works have been necessary. In 1720, thanks to the installation of a baroque decorating, the church was less austere than before. The Dominican church was during the most part of the 19th century used to non-religious ends, before becoming again a place of worship in 1898. The church has been restored in the early 80’s and 90’s.


Around 1475, Martin Schongauer’s studio created the Altarpiece of the Dominicans which is today exposed in the Unterlinden museum. Since 1973 the Dominican Church owns the masterpiece of Martin Schongauer, Madonna of the Rose Bush, which was exposed in the Saint Martin collegiate church. 


The Dominican Church
Place des Dominicains
68000 Colmar

  • Languages spoken : English
  • Languages spoken : German
Theme
Decorative arts, Fine Arts, Temporary exhibition spot
Prices in €
Adult rate 1,50 €, Child rate 0,50 €, Group rate 1 €, Etudiant 1 €
Reduced price
Free for children (age limit) : under 12 year, Discounts for children : De 12 à 18 ans & étudiants, Group (minimum number of people) : 15, Other special offers : 1
Audience concerned
Adults (individuals), Couple, Families, Groups, Schools
Closed on
1 may, 25 december
Situation
Go to top