The History of Colmar in 20 key dates
823 The Carolingian domain, “Columbarium” was first mentioned in a charter of the emperor, Louis the Pious
1226 Colmar appears in a text as a town in its own right (civitatis).
1278 Rodolphe of Habsburg grants the town franchise under the Franchise Charter.
1354 Colmar participates in the creation of the Décapole, federation of the 10 imperial towns of Alsace.
1360 Colmar is endowed with a new constitution by the emperor, Charles IV, which was a huge victory of the bourgeoisie over the nobility.
1480 Construction of the current building, the Old Customs House or Koïfhus.
1536 The Peasants War causes turmoil in Colmar, and the Reform’s first proponents appear.
1575 Late introduction of the Reform in Colmar.
1635 The Rueil Treaty places Colmar under the King of France’s protectorate
1648 The Munster Treaty in Westphalia: French people leave Colmar, and the Empire’s imminence is confirmed.
1679 The Nimegue Treaty: Colmar becomes a royal town of France.
1698 The Sovereign Council of Alsace is established in Colmar, which becomes the judicial capital of the whole province.
1753 Voltaire spends 13 months in Colmar.
1773 Establishment of the Military Academy of Colmar by the poet and teacher, Pfeffel.
1790 Colmar becomes the county seat of the Upper Rhine département.
1800 Colmar becomes the seat of the prefecture and of the Court of Appeals.
1854 The cholera epidemic claims many lives.
1871 Under the Treaty of Frankfurt, Colmar, like all of Alsace, is annexed to the German Empire.
1918 On November 18th, the jubilant entry of the French troops in Colmar.
1945 On February 2nd, the town is liberated after the harsh battles of the “Pocket of Colmar.”
Chronology extracted from ”Colmar, Mémoire d’une ville” by Gabriel BRAEUNER (Colmar, Jérome Do Bentzinger Editeur, 2000).