Logo Office de Tourisme de Colmar

Architectural heritage

Order by :
38 results
Quick info
COLMAR

St Peter's Chapel 

On the Oberhof, one of the original nucleus of Colmar, stands since the 10th century the Saint Pierre priory, which is a property of the Swiss Benedictine abbey from Payerne. A roman church with two towers and which is possible to see on the older...

Quick info
COLMAR

Former Protestant presbytery (House of arcades) 

Albert Schmidt, also architect of the house called the House of the St. John's Knights (1608) and The House of Heads (1609) is the author of this building on the Grand Rue, which was built in 1606. Built in a German Renaissance style, the building...

Quick info
COLMAR

Voltaire's residence 

In October 1753, Voltaire arrived in Colmar to work on his “Annales de l’Empire” (Annals of the Empire) with the help of French advisers of the Sovereign Council and their rich libraries. He also wanted to follow the typographic operations of...

Quick info
COLMAR

Former St John's commanderie 

The St John’s Knights of Jerusalem founded a first hospital in the late 12th century. Attacked by the local clergy who saw a form of competition, the St. John’s Knights asserted themselves only in 1227 thanks to the support of the Pope Grégory...

Quick info
COLMAR

Public Theater 

In the early 19th century, many studies were made to build a theater in the hotel of the Six Montagnes Noires or in the Dominican church, or build one instead of the Koïfhus or the Champ de Mars. It was finally decided to build one behind the...

Quick info
COLMAR

The town Hall 

The current form of the building is dating back to the late 18th century, and more exactly from 1775. The Cistercian monks from the abbey of Paris bought a property of Jean-Jacques Reiss, a bailiff from Ensisheim and Sainte-Croix-en-Plaine....

Quick info
COLMAR

The 'Catherinettes' 

The Dominican Sisters of St. Catherine founded their convent in Colmar in 1310. They originally came from Ammerschwihr. The provisory chapel where they first were was not consecrated until late 1371. The nave was ended in 1436 and the cloister was...

Quick info
COLMAR

Law Court 

This building, rebuilt in 1532 and constituted from a group of houses, encroached on the cemetery of the Augustinian convent nearby. In the late 16th century the building was deeply changed in the style of the Renaissance. Paintings and epigrams,...

Quick info
COLMAR

St Martin's circle 

Created in 1880 and reused in 1890 by the priest Etienne Frey, the St Martin’s circle was imagined to provide cultural activities for men, to promote physical exercises and supervise youth. In 1895, the architect François-Xavier Kreyer ends the...

Quick info
COLMAR

Bruat Fountain 

This fountain, built in tribute to Admiral Armand-Joseph Bruat (1796-1855) who was born in Colmar, is the work of Auguste Bartholdi and was inaugurated in 1864. It was the first in Colmar to have a system to stream water. The fountain represented...

Quick info
COLMAR

Monument dedicated to Pfeffel 

This statue of the poet and teacher Théophile Conrad Pfeffel (1736-1809) who was born in Colmar is a copy of an original work of André Friedrich (1859). Initially placed in front of the Unterlinden Museum, the statue was damaged and was replaced...

Quick info
COLMAR

The Roesselmann Fountain 

Auguste Bartholdi’s statue, sculpted in 1888, represents the public judge Jean Roesselmann. He passed away while defending Colmar and the municipal liberties against the troops and the covetousness of the Bishop of Strasbourg. He is also...

Quick info
COLMAR

Monument to General Rapp 

This statue dedicated to General Jean Rapp (1771-1821) was Bartholdi's first public monument. He was only 20 when he made it in 1854. Originally, it was exhibited on the Champs Elysées in Paris and presented at the Universal Exhibition of 1855. In...

Quick info
COLMAR

Seat of the Ploughmen's guild 

The current building comes from the reconstruction in 1626 of a building which was already used by the powerful ploughmen’s guild. The guild, which had a role of executive functions on the inhabitants of Colmar, rebuilt its meeting place in the...

Quick info
COLMAR

Schwendi fountain 

This fountain, designed by Auguste Bartholdi in 1898 is surmounted by a bronze statue of Lazare de Schwendi (1522-1583). Demolished in 1940, the fountain was rebuilt after the war with a smaller fountain basin, oriented differently. The statue is...

Quick info
COLMAR

“Zum Schwan“ House (or Schongauer House) 

The house "Zum Schwan" (the swan) or "huselin zum Swan" (the swan house), which is characterized by its oriel window and its carved lintels, is known for hosting the workshop of the artist Martin Schongauer of Colmar. Martin Schongauer (1450-1491)...

Quick info
COLMAR

Monument dedicated to Bartholdi 

Auguste Bartholdi (1834-1904) created among others the Lion of Belfort (1880) and the Statue of Liberty (1886). He is, with Martin Schongauer, one of the most important artists of Colmar. The hometown of this international artist, Colmar, paid him...

Quick info
COLMAR

Monument dedicated to Hirn 

Gustave Adolphe Hirn, a physician, astronomer, mathematician and philosopher (1815-1890), is the greatest scientist in Colmar's long history. His research into thermodynamics and oil made him a pioneer of modern industry. His statue was made by...

MOSAIQUE_PATRIMOINE


SELECTION_RUBRIQUE

Adolph House

Bartholdi College

Bartholdi Museum

Bruat Fountain

Court of Appeal

Former Dominican Convent (today public library)

Former Hospital - Mediatheque

Former Protestant presbytery (House of arcades)

Former St John's commanderie

House of Heads

Little Venice

Monument dedicated to Bartholdi

Monument dedicated to Hirn

Monument dedicated to Pfeffel

Monument to General Rapp

Museum of the municipal factories

Natural history and ethnography Museum

Parc du Champ de Mars

Parc Méquillet

Parc Saint-François-Xavier

Public Theater

Saint Martin Church

Saint Matthieu Church

Schwendi fountain

Seat of the Ploughmen's guild

Square Adolphe Hirn

Square de la Montagne-Verte

St Martin's circle

St Peter's Chapel

Statue of liberty

Tanner's district

The 'Catherinettes'

The Dominican Church

The fishmonger's district

The former guard house

The Hansi Village and its Museum

The House of the St. John's Knights

The Pfister House

The Roesselmann Fountain

The Synagogue

Toy Museum

Unterlinden Museum

Voltaire's residence

Water Tower garden

“Zum Schwan“ House (or Schongauer House)

Go to top