This statue dedicated to General Jean Rapp (1771-1821) was Bartholdi's first public monument. He was only 20 when he made it in 1854. Originally, it was exhibited on the Champs Elysées in Paris and presented at the Universal Exhibition of 1855. In 1856 the statue was transferred in Colmar. This colossal bronze statue was destroyed by the Nazis in 1940. Restored after the war, it was placed on an identical pedestal in 1948. Today, the statue dominates the eponymous square, transformed and cleared of cars since summer 2000.
Monument to General Rapp