Logo Office de Tourisme de Colmar

Contact
Bruat Fountain

You want to book or ask a question ? Please fill out the form below!

This fountain, built in tribute to Admiral Armand-Joseph Bruat (1796-1855) who was born in Colmar, is the work of Auguste Bartholdi and was inaugurated in 1864. It was the first in Colmar to have a system to stream water. The fountain represented the allegories of the four continents. It was destroyed by the Nazis in 1940. In 1958, the bronze statue was restored and placed on a new fountain built by sculptor Choain and architect Porte. The original sandstone heads are kept at the Bartholdi Museum. Albert Schweitzer (1875-1965) said in his writings that the head of the African was what inspired him to be a doctor in the African bush.

Bruat Fountain
Parc du Champ de Mars
68000 Colmar

media
Situation

Heritage highlights


PLEASE SELECT

Adolph House

Bartholdi College

Bartholdi Museum

Bruat Fountain

Court of Appeal

Former Dominican Convent (today public library)

Former Hospital - Mediatheque

Former Protestant presbytery (House of arcades)

Former St John's commanderie

House of Heads

Little Venice

Monument dedicated to Bartholdi

Monument dedicated to Hirn

Monument dedicated to Pfeffel

Monument to General Rapp

Museum of the municipal factories

Natural history and ethnography Museum

Parc du Champ de Mars

Parc Méquillet

Parc Saint-François-Xavier

Public Theater

Saint Martin Church

Saint Matthieu Church

Schwendi fountain

Seat of the Ploughmen's guild

Square Adolphe Hirn

Square de la Montagne-Verte

St Martin's circle

St Peter's Chapel

Statue of liberty

Tanner's district

The 'Catherinettes'

The Dominican Church

The fishmonger's district

The former guard house

The Hansi Village and its Museum

The House of the St. John's Knights

The Pfister House

The Roesselmann Fountain

The Synagogue

Toy Museum

Unterlinden Museum

Voltaire's residence

Water Tower garden

“Zum Schwan“ House (or Schongauer House)

Go to top