Logo Office de Tourisme de Colmar

The Koïfhus or the former customs house had a strategic place at the confluence of the Grand’Rue and the rue des Marchands, two of the major roads in the medieval city.


Imagined since 1433, the construction of the current building was ended in 1480. Two adjoining buildings were added in the 16th century. The condition of the building was in the 19th century so worrying that a demolition was envisaged. But the project was cancelled and restorations took place from 1895 to 1898. The turret and the glazed tiles came from that time. The last renovation in 2002 was to repair the sandstone balustrade in a Renaissance style which was removed in 1976.


The Koïfhus is the older public local building and had from its creation a double function. The ground floor was used as a warehouse and as a place of taxation for imported and exported goods. The floor was used for the meetings of the deputies of the Décapole, the federation of the 10 imperial cities of Alsace, which was created in 1534. The Magistrate also met there. The revolution abolished commercial privileges and the building was used for other uses. Around 1840 a theatre took place there and in 1848 the first office of the discount bank. The Koïfhus was occupied by the Chamber of Commerce and Industry from 1870 to 1930 and by a catholic boy school and an Israelite school in the late 19th century. Today many manifestations and public activities take place here.


Koifhus
Place de l'Ancienne Doaune
68000 Colmar

Situation

MOSAIQUE_PATRIMOINE


SELECTION_RUBRIQUE

Adolph House

Bartholdi College

Bartholdi Museum

Bruat Fountain

Court of Appeal

Former Dominican Convent (today public library)

Former Hospital - Mediatheque

Former Protestant presbytery (House of arcades)

Former St John's commanderie

House of Heads

Little Venice

Monument dedicated to Bartholdi

Monument dedicated to Hirn

Monument dedicated to Pfeffel

Monument to General Rapp

Museum of the municipal factories

Natural history and ethnography Museum

Parc du Champ de Mars

Parc Méquillet

Parc Saint-François-Xavier

Public Theater

Saint Martin Church

Saint Matthieu Church

Schwendi fountain

Seat of the Ploughmen's guild

Square Adolphe Hirn

Square de la Montagne-Verte

St Martin's circle

St Peter's Chapel

Statue of liberty

Tanner's district

The 'Catherinettes'

The Dominican Church

The fishmonger's district

The former guard house

The Hansi Village and its Museum

The House of the St. John's Knights

The Pfister House

The Roesselmann Fountain

The Synagogue

Toy Museum

Unterlinden Museum

Voltaire's residence

Water Tower garden

“Zum Schwan“ House (or Schongauer House)

Go to top