Logo Office de Tourisme de Colmar

In October 1753, Voltaire arrived in Colmar to work on his “Annales de l’Empire” (Annals of the Empire) with the help of French advisers of the Sovereign Council and their rich libraries. He also wanted to follow the typographic operations of his work at the bookshop from J.F. Schoepflin. He found a place to live to Mrs. Gall, the mayor’s wife, in a nobiliary house dating from the 15th century and rebuilt in 1609.



The three-month stay from Voltaire in Colmar was particularly eventful because of his problems with the Jesuit brothers, who were very influent in the town and were against the works of the enlightenment philosopher. However, and in spite of his numerous critics about Colmar that he called “a city half-French half-German”, some of his comments suggest that he appreciated his stay there.


Voltaire's residence
10 Rue Berthe Molly
68000 Colmar

Prices in €
Adult rate 0 €
media
Situation

MOSAIQUE_PATRIMOINE


SELECTION_RUBRIQUE

Adolph House

Bartholdi College

Bartholdi Museum

Bruat Fountain

Court of Appeal

Former Dominican Convent (today public library)

Former Hospital - Mediatheque

Former Protestant presbytery (House of arcades)

Former St John's commanderie

House of Heads

Little Venice

Monument dedicated to Bartholdi

Monument dedicated to Hirn

Monument dedicated to Pfeffel

Monument to General Rapp

Museum of the municipal factories

Natural history and ethnography Museum

Parc du Champ de Mars

Parc Méquillet

Parc Saint-François-Xavier

Public Theater

Saint Martin Church

Saint Matthieu Church

Schwendi fountain

Seat of the Ploughmen's guild

Square Adolphe Hirn

Square de la Montagne-Verte

St Martin's circle

St Peter's Chapel

Statue of liberty

Tanner's district

The 'Catherinettes'

The Dominican Church

The fishmonger's district

The former guard house

The Hansi Village and its Museum

The House of the St. John's Knights

The Pfister House

The Roesselmann Fountain

The Synagogue

Toy Museum

Unterlinden Museum

Voltaire's residence

Water Tower garden

“Zum Schwan“ House (or Schongauer House)

Go to top